Sedrak Arakelian (Armenia, 1884 – 1942)
Scene from Old Yerevan
Material: Oil on carton
Dimension: 37 x 29 cm
About the Artist:
Sedrak Arakelian studied first at the Art Academy of the Caucasian Society for the Promotion of the Arts in Tbilisi by the painter Yegische Tadewosjan (1904-1908) and then at the Moscow University of Painting, Sculpture and Architecture, graduating in 1916. His teachers were S. W. Ivanov, K. A. Korovin and A. J. Archipow. Arakeljan took part in the exhibitions of the cooperative of artistic traveling exhibitions, which campaigned for realism.
In 1920 Arakelian returned to Armenia and participated in the cultural life of the country. In addition to his artistic activity he was socially. He founded the Society of Fine Arts Workers as the first artists’ association in the Armenian SSR. After five years she joined the Association of Artists of Revolutionary Russia. In addition, Arakeljan taught at the Yerevan technical center for art and industry.
Works in Museums
His works can be found in the Armenian National Gallery in Yerevan and in the Moscow Tretyakov Gallery as well as in other museums.