Samarkand Painting by a Russian Master (Around 1900)
Sher-Dor Madrasah, Samarkand
Material: Oil on cardboard
Dimension: 49,5 x 73 cm
About the work:
Samarkand painting by a Russian Master from the early 20th Century. Currently we do not know the painter of this painting. This painting has no signature. Only a few artists like Richard Karlovich Zommer, Vasily Vereshchagin, Lev Bure or Gigo Gabashvili were soviet painters having works from the Mosque Sher-Dor Madrasah in Samarkand, Uzbekistan.
The Sher-Dor Madrasah mosque was built 1619-1636 on the Registan Square in Samarkand. The name is translated as “Madrassah with Lions”. It is the distorted and exaggerated reflection of the Ulugbek Madrasah, which is located just opposite, on the western side of the Registan Square. The difference in age between them is 200 years. Sher-Dor has a larger area and size.
The in – and outside of the Madrasah is decorated with bright ornaments of glazed bricks. The walls and towers are covered with majolica of various patterns of climber flowers and quotations from the Kuran on Arabic. But some parts are lost. Scientists, historians and restorers are trying to recover the initial appearance of Sher-Dor Madrasah.
The Madrasah was considered as a modern building of that time, because the latest architectural innovations were used at the construction. Moreover such a grand building has a set of constructive peculiarities, which make it one of the best architectural monuments in Samarkand.
In addition the Madrasah of Sher-Dor has some features. In the center of the arch, above the entrance, there is the image of a swastika and tigers with the sun.
The Madrasah of Sher-Dor has been restored many times. The largest works were conducted in the beginning of the XX century by Soviet architects. Out of them the most famous was V.G. Shukhov. Today this monument of Samarkand architecture is one of the main sights of the city. In 2001 the Madrasah of Sher-Dor entered the UNESCO World Heritage List.