Nikolai Jefimowitsch Timkov (1912 Rostov-on-Don – 1993 St.Petersburg)
Russian Winter Village
Material: Oil on canvas
Dimension: 44 x 57 cm
About the Artist:
He was a Soviet Russian painter, Honored Artist of Russian Federation, and a member of the Saint Petersburg Union of Artists (before 1992 the Leningrad branch of Union of Artists of Russian Federation). He lived and worked in Leningrad and is regarded as one of the leading representatives of the Leningrad School of Painting, worldwide known for his landscape paintings.
In 1933 Nikolai Timkov together with Alexander Laktionov arrived in Leningrad and entered the painting department of the Leningrad Institute of Painting, Sculpture and Architecture of the All-Russian Academy of Arts. He studied with Mikhail Bernshtein, Arcady Rylov, Alexander Lubimov, and Vladimir Serov. In 1939 Nikolai Timkov graduated from the Institute of Painting, Sculpture and Architecture and became a famous Soviet painter and art educator.
“The Heroic defense of Leningrad”
After graduation, Nikolai Timkov was called up for military service in the Baltic Fleet, where he served until 1946. During the Great Patriotic War and Blockade of Leningrad Timkov was among defenders of Leningrad. During brief visits to the city, he created a series of graphic works (gouache, watercolor), depicting the Siege of Leningrad (now in the collection of the State Russian Museum and the Museum of the History of Saint Petersburg). Timkov participated in the Exhibition of the defenders of Leningrad, also in the Exhibition titled “The Heroics of Soviet Front and Rear” in Moscow at the Tretyakov Gallery in 1943, as well as creating the greatest during the war years Exhibition “The Heroic defense of Leningrad”, opened in 1944 and marked the beginning of the Museum of Defense of Leningrad. Timkov was awarded the medals “For Defense of Leningrad”, and “For Victory over Germany”. In 1943, Nikolai Timkov has been accepted in members of the Leningrad Union of Soviet Artists.
Nikolai Efimovich Timkov died on December 25, 1993 in Saint Petersburg at the eighty-second year of life. His paintings reside in State Russian Museum, in Art museums and private collections in Russia, France, England, Japan, in the U.S., and throughout the world.
In 1990s, after the death of the artist, his work has received recognition and aroused great interest abroad. He devoted two monographs published in the U.S. Exhibitions of his works were held in many cities. This brought the artist fame and glory of the “Russian Impressionist”. One of the first Soviet artists, and perhaps the first landscape painter, he was listed in the West as one of the biggest painter of the 20th century. With the works of Nikolai Timkov for many Western art historians and art lovers began essentially a new discovery of Soviet-era art middle and second half of the 20th century.